Only 2 weeks left until the ES Spring Concert! The theme for this year’s show is ‘Spring and Growth’ and is based on a poem I wrote “Spring is…” and my adaptation of Dr Seuss’s “The Lorax” specifically for our students. Once again, I am so proud of my students and all the incredible contributions they have made to bring the adaptation to life and take it further. Not only are they bigger and almost ready to move up a grade level, they have also grown a lot musically over the past year and I can’t wait for everyone to see what they have been working so hard on!
Next month, Grade 4 students will be fitted for an instrument which they will play in band and maybe (hopefully) the rest of their lives! It’s a big decision so we have been revising lots about the instruments so students can be as prepared as possible when giving their preference.
Today, 1P had fun learning about the koto with special guest Mrs Ito who will be performing on this beautiful Japanese instrument with us in our ES Spring Concert next month. The students enjoyed singing with the koto accompaniment and hearing Mrs Ito play!
After a few lessons of working on their piece for the ES Spring Concert, 3RB + FS3 were excited to split into different teams today. Students were given the option to join a movement, recorder or xylophones group to work on specific aspects for the performance. It was great to see everyone working together so well and practicing hard!
Spring is…beautiful sakura season in Japan! In preparation for our ‘Spring and Growth’ theme ES Spring Concert, 1P have been learning a traditional Japanese folk song ‘Sakura’ and watched some dances by other people to the same piece of music. After practicing some movements as a class, I challenged 1P with creating their own dance in small groups (in just 15 minutes!) and I was very impressed with how well they focused and worked together to complete the task. What an excellent start! Well done 1P! Here are snippets of their ideas:
A slightly different post but wanted to share – some of our Orff instruments were in need of some repair and I finally got round to doing that today (and it was fun!). Thanks to Mr Levy, our religion and makers space teacher, who taught me how best to fix each problem, our students now have like-new instruments to use, yay!